Monday, December 5, 2011

Reflection on Poll Working Experience


A one day job that I’ve had during high school was Poll Worker for San Francisco. My job was to connect everyone’s identification with the list we had to make sure they were in the right poll area to vote. I enjoyed this job because there was a lot of interaction and I got to meet many new faces. At 6 A.M. in the morning we all had to show up in a cold dark garage and set up the poll area. Unfortunately this is probably the part I hated along with closing because I did not know my fellow poll workers and it was freezing in the morning not to mention that it was really far away from my house. Despite the setting up and closing I felt this job really taught me a lot because I quickly adapted to the situation and managed to set everything up with my poll workers before it was official opening time. It was really hard to remember everyone’s names but none of us took it personally. I felt once we got to know each other during our down time it felt a lot easier to talk with each other.  I developed a little more patience working with people because I knew that it would take a while to match people’s identification with the names on the list and that they were busy people and had better things to do. I feel this experience taught me how to work together with a team quickly and even though it was an ephemeral type of job, I got more out of this experience than any other type of job.

No comments:

Post a Comment